Saturday, April 02, 2005

Brief Paragraph I Wrote For Shirts For a Cure

Mark Beemer, good friend of mine, runs a great cancer benifit called Shirts for a Cure where bands donate a shirt design and proceeds go to cancer research or related causes. My old band Frodus had a shirt go up this last week and this is what I wrote.

"In June 1999, I went with my then soon-to-be fiancée, Alanna Alindogan, to the doctor's office for results of tests concerning her recent stomach pains. The doctor wouldn't let me back with her since we weren't married, so I sat bored in the waiting room. A half-hour later, she walked out of the back dazed, grabbed my hand, and took me outside. Holding back tears, she looked into my eyes and ruined my life. "I have cancer." I held her as tightly as possible while she said over and over, "I don't want to die." I went numb and the only thought in my head was the end of a new Frodus song we had been
working on earlier that week. The depressing riff became the soundtrack for that devastating month and the song it became a part of was later named "6/99." We tried every type of medicine and treatment possible, from Chinese herbs and chemotherapy to natural medicine and experimental drugs. Alanna died nine months later on March 31st, 2000. Five years have gone by and my life has never been the same. I have slowly moved on but not forgotten. I learned more about life living
her nine-month death than living my previous 23 years.

Death and sickness can be the best and worst experiences for those of us left behind. It has the power to change, create, and heal, given the opportunity. I have found love a second time and will marry Jenny Mihn Luu on November 5th, 2005. God is good.

I have known Mark Beemer for years and he is the only person in my life that has experienced a similar tragedy. Alanna's cancer had no cure but science is always progressing. If buying a band's t-shirt will help find a cure for any type of cancer, I wear a medium."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home