Saturday, June 04, 2005

Down With The Sickness

This morning was Race for the Cure here in DC. I went to cheer Jenny on and to see friends walking with SSE, a foundation started by good friend Mark Beemer after his wife died of breast cancer. I have never attended a cancer event. Not because I didn'’t want to but because I never afforded myself the opportunity. There were 40,000 people in the race and 3,000 breast cancer survivors. It was really great to see so many people out supporting cancer research. People were running and holding up signs and banners with their team name or sponsor. Some were holding huge pictures of their dead. Running as a memorial. I couldn'’t begin to think what was going through their heads. They with larger than life photos of their loved one as others ran and smiled past them. It was absolutely heart wrenching. I had a rough time holding back tears.

Alanna and I used to be envious of women with breast cancer. It was a strain of cancer that people had heard of, it even had a logo. You could buy cd’s of your favorite musicians raising money for breast cancer. Meanwhile, Alanna and I suffered in obscurity wiLiposarcomaoma. No one had heard of it. It took the doctors 2 weeks to even know what they cut out of her. It'’s strange to wish for a “popular sickness. Cancer is cancer. But it felt like there was more regard to breast, prostate, and good ‘ole colon cancer.

MacDonald'’s was handing out hats after the race. The hats were white with a green fork wrapped in the pink ribbon. It was a great logo. McDonald'’s food contributes to the cancer epidemic. When someone eats like crap their body wastes so much energy on digestion and manufacturing nutrients (that we should be eating). The body then breaks down and loses the ability to fight disease due to mass fatigue. It's mind blowing that 40,000 people will get up early on Saturday to run, but spend little to no time learning how to really eat properly. I don'’t eat close to perfect all the time, but I try. I think if people stopped eating for convenience and tried eating for nutrients we would have a lot less sickness. I am not down with the sickness.

"Let Food Be Your Medicine" Hippocrates (460BC)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home