Sunday, July 03, 2005

Waking up to Panic

The van had broken down for at least the 10th time on that first Frodus tour. It was Wednesday May 15th 1996 and we were on the way to Iowa after playing a basement in Minneapolis. We had a week left of our first full US tour. Over the first three weeks our van went to hell. In Carlsbad, New Mexico transmission fluid leaked all over the engine causing the rubber mounts to dissolve which in turn caused the engine to fall and rest on the chassis vibrating so loudly we had to yell at the top of our lungs to hear each other. The rear differential plug was loosened by the vibrations which caused the rear axle oil to drain. We fortunately got those fixed before anything seized. In Arizona, the day before Memorial Day, ended up needing a new transmission. Being a holiday weekend they couldn’t get the parts on time so we ended up in Tempe, AZ for a week canceling all of California and Utah. We then drove straight to Rapid City, South Dakota from Tempe. I drove the stretch from Taos, NM straight to Rapid City. Over the coarse of ten hours I drove through rain, fog, snow, sleet, and hail. By the time we reached Minnesota we had blown a head gasket and were overheating constantly. It was getting so bad I pulled off at one point and had to put ditch water in the radiator. On the way to Minneapolis the blades on the cooling fan ripped off severing wires as they flew out. The van still drove but finally gave up on the way to Iowa. We stood on the side of the road for 45 minutes trying to flag down help. Keep in mind this was before cell phone. I was so fed up that I picked up a chunk of rubber lying on the side of the road and was getting ready to beam it into traffic. I figured at least someone would stop to yell at me then maybe we could get help. Just as I was ready to get it started Shelby ran over and said someone had pulled over.

Paul used to be a mechanic but hurt his back so he began fixing up cars at home in his spare time. He extended his services if we had the van towed back to his place. Thank God for AAA Plus! 100 free towing miles! The tow truck dropped us in Paul’s driveway 40 miles later. His house was little and homely complete with wife, Susan, and a baby. Shelby and I went with Paul to find van parts while Howard and Ben stayed back. That Susan’s brother, Jason, brought over a couple of Little Caesar’s Pizza and we rented “Swimming with Sharks” with Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley. It was supposed to be a comedy but I remember it being pretty messed up. Watching a messed up movie in a stranger’s house in the dark felt strange. Howard and Ben slept in the Van while Shelby and I braved the house. It was a surreal and uneasy night.

I woke the next morning to whispering above me. I didn’t open my eyes and pretended to be asleep.
“Should we put a hex on’em?”
“I had a dream I slept with the drummer. We made love all night.”
“Did you tell Paul? “
“I didn’t tell ‘em. He’d kill ‘em”

I laid face down in utter terror with no idea what to do.

“You can’t tell Paul he’ll freak out.”
“What should we do to?”

Out of all the things that has happened to me over the years this ranks as one of the strangest. We had all seen “Pulp Fiction” so I wasn’t sure where this was headed. They wanted to put a hex on us? I stirred in my sleeping bag a little and faked a loud yawn.
“Mornin! Is Paul around?”
“He’s fixin’ the van.”
“Did he already go to the junk yard?”
“He’s been waitin for you to get up.”

Susan was on the couch with her brother Jason. Her teeth were twisted and stained. The concept of all night love making with her made me shiver. She asked if I was cold. I said, “I am now”.

Shelby was still sleeping so I shook him a little and suggested he come with me to the junk yard.
“I’m really tired. I’ll stay here and sleep.”
“You really need to get up NOW and come with me.”
“It’s cool I’ll stay here and sleep.”
“GET UP! You’re coming with me!”
Susan and Jason just sat on the couch looking at us. I was absolutely terrified what they were going to do to Shelby if I left him there alone.

We went to the junkyard, got our parts, and headed back to the house. The whole time with Paul I was really nervous. I kept away from Susan and Jason for the hour or so we waited for Paul to put the finishing touches on the van. Once fixed we rallied everyone together for a group shot and were off to Iowa. I can’t believe I was only 19.

Paul, Susan, Jason, and Frodus

Susan, Paul (white shirt), Jason (brother), Me, Shelby, Howard

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2006 or 1996?

7/06/2005 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"waking up to panic" is a great short story...
that is very messed up. what happened when
you told shelby about what you had heard?
this story is especially funny to me, being a
fan of frodus and living in minnesota.
hee hee hee.. very fun story.
keep it up jason.

7/24/2005 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home