Friday, March 17, 2006

HNIC

The archbishop of Aleppo is the un-official face of Christianity here in Syria. Since we are his guests, we have been able to parcipate in several national events. Yesterday we were introduced Price Michael of Greece. I think his sister is the King's wife. The archbishop had me discuss my project with him and he was very excited and demanded we stay in touch. I invited him to come to hear the choir last night and he brought his wife and a friend and we discussed several ideas and were shown several old manuscripts and the old chalice from Urfa.

Two days ago I was invited to participate in photo show with another photographer here in Aleppo when we return in June. I'll show 40 photos and he will show 40 photos. There is so much happening I am overwhelmed hourly.

The Archbishop had a meeting yesterday with the leader of the Syrian Jewish Community. I was introduced and was able to ask a hand full of questions. There are less than 50 Jews living in Syria these days. I asked about the rumor of Aleppo housing the world's oldest Synagogue. He said that was true and he offered to take us there. It hasn't been open for years and no one from the orthodox community has ever been inside. Several of us met up and did a small tour. It dates back 3000 years. I was able to take photos that Father Joseph will be using for a book he is soon to publish.

We have found hours of material that needs to be archived. We are meeting with the church's unofficial historian in 30 min. He has hours of recordings as well as an extensive library to sift through. I need to go prepare for the meeting. Party.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is dorky, and probably generic, but are you, or have you gone to "Straight Street" as mentioned in the book of Acts? I heard it stilll exists and a major street in Old Damascus...

3/20/2006 12:20 AM  
Blogger Matt Gorton said...

Jason,
That's pretty amazing trip (or series of trips) you're on.

good luck, stay safe, and hopefully i'll see you again sooner rather than later.

matt g

4/05/2006 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the most amazing and interesting blogs I've ever read. I would love to hear more about the trip, and of course, hear the recordings.

Thanks for taking the path you've been directed on.

Dan

4/20/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Ryan Morris said...

Jason, when are you going to update this thing? We're waiting ...

By the way, I checked out your Flickr photo stream; very nice!

5/08/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger D'Artagnan said...

I love that you refer to the archbishop as the HNIC. Ha!

8/01/2006 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home